Since 1993, Centennial High School has focused on developing traditions of pride and excellence. We have a tremendous staff committed to the success of young people. Centennial High School’s vision is that students today have the personal, academic, and social opportunities necessary to become productive, informed, and participating citizens of tomorrow. This is accomplished through our Schoolwide Learning Objectives, which include demonstrating:
- 21st Century skills, including technical and career readiness.
- Critical thinking skills, including the ability to create, analyze, and evaluate.
- Academic proficiency, including achievements in both the classroom and on high-stakes assessments.
- Effective communication skills, including the capability to collaborate.
Our mission at Centennial is to provide programs and services to allow ALL students to graduate from high school prepared to succeed in the workplace or at the post-secondary level. As a staff, we are committed to reinforce the goal of our students to be HAWKS = Honest – Ambitious – Well-rounded – Kind – and Spirited.
Centennial High School’s accomplishments/recognitions include:
- 2011 California Distinguished School.
- 2013 California Civic Learning Award
- First school to have a student earn the seal of Civic Engagement (Alexander Fan)
- Multiple state championships in Virtual Enterprise. The 2022 Virtual Business team placed 2nd in the nation in the Marketing Competition and 2nd in the Finance Competition held at the Virtual Enterprise Nationals in NYC.
- Mock Trial team took 1st place in Kern County in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, and 2022. In 2016 the team finished 4th in the California State Championships out of 32 teams. Invited to and participated in the elite Empire Mock Trial competition in 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2021.. They competed in the Empire Mock Trial World Championships in New York City and finished 10th in the World in 2018.
- Centennial's "We the People" program has a long history of success. In total, Centennial has won the regional competition 20 times and finished in the top 5 at state 26 times. Centennial has won the state competition 4 times (1998, 1999, 2002, 2003) and finished in the top ten at nationals 4 times (1998, 1999, 2002, 2003) including 2 bronze medals (1998, 1999). Last year's team finished 1st in the region and placed 3rd at the state competition.
- Robotics Program - State: 9 time state qualifier (including pandemic year); Placed 2nd in state in 2019, winning the overall "excellence" award. Qualified 2 robots to worlds in 2019 and 3 in 2020 - placing 3rd in 2014. Winner of the Design award (2nd highest individual award) in 2018.
- Marching Hawk & Golden Pageantry Corp. have won numerous sweepstakes awards in statewide competitions.
- Theatre program has earned multiple PEAAK Awards
- Art program participates in the following community events: Fallen Officer Event; Bakersfield Art Association; Congressional Art Show; Via Arte
- GATE, Honors and Advanced Placement classes available in English, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Spanish, French, Visual arts, and Music Theory.
- 9 Dual Enrollment classes at Centennial
- Special programs include: AVID, Project Lead The Way (Engineering and Bio Medical Science), English Language Development, CTE Pathways, Regional Occupational Program/Career Technical Education Center, Independent Study and Special Education.
- Outstanding athletic teams at all levels – 136 League, 32 Section, 2 State, and 1 National championships as part of CHS’s 29-year history.
- Excellent student leadership development program. Great student involvement in community non-profit programs.
- Wide variety of excellent academic support programs for underserved and challenged students - Literacy, ACCESS, Foundational Math, Academic Achievement, Peer Tutors, and AVID curriculum.