Since 1993, Centennial High School has focused on developing traditions of pride and excellence. We have a tremendous staff committed to the success of young people. Centennial High School’s vision is that students today have the personal, academic, and social opportunities necessary to become productive, informed, and participating citizens of tomorrow. This is accomplished through our Schoolwide Learning Objectives, which include demonstrating:
- 21st Century skills, including technical and career readiness.
- Critical thinking skills, including the abitlity to create, analyze, and evaluate.
- Academic proficiency, including achievements in both the classroom and on high-stakes assessments.
- Effective communication skills, including the capability to collaborate.
Our mission at Centennial is to provide programs and services to allow ALL students to graduate from high school prepared to succeed in the workplace or at the post-secondary level. As a staff, we are committed to reinforce the goal of our students to be HAWKS = Honest – Ambitious – Well-rounded – Kind – and Spirited.
Centennial High School’s accomplishments/recognitions include:
- Recognized as a California Distinguished School.
- Top Academic Performance Index (API) in Kern County in 2012 and 2013 of 850. (State discontinued API scoring in 2014 and is currently developing a new system of accountability.)
- Mock Trial team won first place in Kern County in 2013, 2014, and 2016, and earned a fourth place overall in the March 2016 California State Mock Trial Championships
- Four-time California State Champions and national fourth place finisher in the “We the People…” Constitution competition, including annual participation in the state finals by qualifying as one of the top four teams. In 2011, we finished second in the state, qualified for national finals in 2012. First in Region in 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Multiple state championships in Virtual Enterprise competitions. Qualified for national competition in New York City in April 2016, placing tenth overall
- Individual state Forensics champion in 2013 and 2014. Double “AA” Sweepstakes State Forensics Champions in 2010. Also, two individual state champions in 2010. Top finisher in San Joaquin Valley at 2013 state championships.
- CHS Robotics qualified four teams to participate in the 2016 state championships and one team to the national competition in Louisville, Kentucky
- High student performance with approximately 54% of students qualifying for honor roll with a 3.0 GPA or better.
- Advanced technology used by students in all the core subject areas
- Marching Hawk & Golden Pageantry Corp. have won numerous sweepstakes awards in statewide competitions.
- GATE, Honors and Advanced Placement classes available in English, mathematics, social studies, science, Spanish, French, visual arts, and music theory
- Special programs include: AVID, Project Lead The Way (Engineering and Biomedical Science), English Language Development, Regional Occupational Program, Independent Study and Special Education
- Known for an excellent cadre of teachers and classified staff, with an average of 17 years of experience among all teachers
- Outstanding athletic teams at all levels – league, valley, state, and national championships as part of CHS’s 23-year history
- Active student participation in ASB, Safe School Ambassadors, Red Zone, and Link Crew/C2HS (Connection to Hawk Success)
- Great student involvement in community non-profit programs. CHS Interact Club honored as the Best Student Group at the June 2016 Beautiful Bakersfield Awards
- Wide variety of excellent academic support programs for underserved and challenged students – Literacy, ACCESS, Foundational Math, Academic Achievement, CAHSEE classes, Student Tutors, and Career Choices curriculum.
School Demographic Information
- Total Student Enrollment = 2,011
- 57.9% White
- 31% Hispanic
- 2.4% Black
- 2.8% Asian
- 5.9% Other
- 74 Certificated Employees
- 58 Classified Staff Members
- 4 Administrators
- 5 Counselors
- 1 School Community Specialist
- 1 Intervention Specialist
CHS Fascinating Facts 10.2016 pdf handout.